Our History Begins…
In 1954 the Church of Christ work for blacks was started on Ireland Street with the help of the elders and minister, Brother O.P. Baird, of the Wendover Avenue Church of Christ. The Ireland Street Church of Christ began at the corner of Ireland and Haynes Streets. The congregation began with the first preacher, Bro. P. K. Alexander and his wife, Sis. Marie Alexander along with three of their grandchildren, Rose, Marie and Pinkney Butler. The Alexanders devoted full time to the Lord’s work in a one room building with no running water, no bathrooms and no where to baptize people. Baptisms took place at the Wendover Avenue Church of Christ. Bro. and Sis. Alexander’sthree grandchildren were baptized in the year 1956.Worshipped continued in the Ireland Street building until the City Redevelopment Commissioner gave notification in 1964 that the church would need to relocate within six months because of city improvement.
The new site was selected in the Lennox Park Subdivision at 1417 Cottage Grove Avenue (now South English Street), lot size 215 foot front, 160 foot depth, building having a dimension of 30/60. A brick veneer basement was erected. The total cost of lots, assessments and building was $19, 256.25.Before the move to 1417 Cottage Grove Avenue, about ten to twelve families (approximately forty people) had been added to the body. Of those families, those still worshipping in the congregation in 2008 are Sis Johnsie Cowan and family, Sis. Louella Turner and family, the Coleman family, Sis. Bonnie Bell, Sis. Louise McRae, the Richmond family, the Alexander family and Bro. and Sis. Robert and Marie Alston and family.After going into the new building in 1965, the minister, Bro. P.K. Alexander, became ill and his health continued to decline. Bro. Alexander departed this life on June 24, 1966. The worship service continued with speakers from various congregations, especially Bro. Gene Peck of Wendover Avenue. Bro. Jimmy Canup of Florida Street and Bro. U. Clinton of Olga Avenue.In 1967, the congregation selected Bro. Samuel Adams from Kannapolis, North Carolina to take the position as full time minister. He labored with much progress over eleven years driving over 150 miles twice a week. During this time the upper story of the building was completed and many souls were baptized and restored to the Lord’s work.
With the growth of the work, the church suggested the need of a full time minister who lived in the city. Bro. Samuel Adams, who worked a full time labor job in Kannapolis, did not accept the church’s offer and resigned his position so that a full time minister who could be available in the city to meet the needs of the church could be hired.
During the latter part of 1978 and early 1979, a search for a
full time minister was in progress. After due process and investigation, the church called Bro. Paul L. Sanders of Paris, Texas to be the minister, and he accepted. Bro. Sanders, his wife Claudie and daughter Tiffany moved to Greensboro in August 1979 and began full time work with the congregation.Under Bro. Paul Sanders leadership, the church experienced tremendous growth. On an average, fifty souls were baptized, restored or placed membership per year. The average Sunday morning attendance was approximately 250. The church growth deemed it necessary to have two Sunday morning worship services. Because of such growth, in 1983 the leadership decided to build an addition to the present structure. Sis. Catherine Jordan, now deceased, gave the first $100.00 to start the expansion process. The addition was completed in 1985 at a cost of $262,000.00.
The work continued in this structure with Bro. Paul Sanders as minister and Bro. Zachary McChristian as assistant minister. Bro. McChristian and his wife Jacqueline and their two daughters, Chantelle and Daniele, worked with the congregation until 1994. I
n 1993, Brother Paul Sanders resigned as full time minister, and Brother McChristian became the full time minister until 1994. In June of 1994, Brother Jerry Taylor, a native of Covington, Tennessee, accompanied by his wife, Patricia Bowden Taylor, formerly of Houston, Texas, assumed the work as the senior minister. Bro. McChristian continued as the Associate Minister. Dr. Jerry Taylor came to South English Street Church of Christ with enthusiasm that encouraged the church to stand in the Truth. He soon instituted Tuesday and Thursday night studies that focused on How To Study the Bible and encouraged the congregation to create a mission statement, Loving God: Reaching, Serving and Building People For the Greatest Kingdom.
In 1996 at the request of Dr. Jerry Taylor, Bro. Julius S. Greene became the Associate Minister. Bro. Greene, a native of North Carolina is married to Donna G. Summers and they have two children, Julius Greene, Jr. and Nikki (Nicholas) Glenn.
After serving and moving the South English Street Church of Christ forward for five years, Dr. Taylor resigned and Bro. Julius Greene became the full time minister. Bro. Ronnie Goodman served as Associate Minister until taking a full time position in Burlington, North Carolina. Currently Bro. Nicholas A. Glenn is the Full-Time Minister and the Associate Minister is Bro. Maurice Dent Jr.
Bro. Greene’s vision was to put into action the mission statement. To that end the congregation installed Elders and Deacons, purchased land for a new edifice and established many ministries that invite servant workers. That vision came into fruition on June 6, 2010, when the saints marched into Sharpe Road Church of Christ and held its first worship service with a full house. On October 10, 2010, the edifice was dedicated to the glory of God and prayers of thanks were given for God leading us forward in His service as we serve the Sharpe Road community and the city of Greensboro, North Carolina.